Dewey Rhead

1909 - Vol. 2

Dewey W. Rhead, who is one of the successful farmers and dairymen of Hudson township, where he is also serving in the office of justice of the peace, is a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of Michigan, and as a citizen and businessman he has added to the prestige of the name which he bears. He was born in Nankin township, Wayne county, Michigan, Feb. 2, 1869, and is a son of Robert D. and Jane (Robinson) Rhead, the former of whom was born in the city of Albany, N.Y., in 1818 and the latter was likewise born in the old Empire State. Robert D. Rhead was reared to the life of the farm and received his education in the common schools of his native state, where he remained until he had attained to the age of eighteen years, when, in 1836, he came to Michigan in company with his brother, Aden. They became associated in the purchase of a tract of land in Wayne county, and together initiated the work of reclaiming and otherwise improving the property, of which Robert D. eventually became the sole owner, through the purchase of the interest of his brother. He developed a productive farm and was one of the influential and popular citizens of Wayne county. In connection with the management of his farm he conducted a hotel in the village of Plymouth for a period of about three years, at the expiration of which he exchanged the hotel property for a farm near the same village. On the farm last mentioned he continued to reside until 1880, when he removed to Lenawee county and settled in Hudson, where he assumed control of the Comstock Hotel, for which property he traded his farm. He continued in the ownership and management of the hotel until 1891, when he exchanged the property for a well improved farm in Hillsdale county. This property he later sold and he then purchased a farm of 115 acres in section 7, Hudson township, where he passed his declining days. He died in October, 1898, secure in the esteem and good will of all who knew him and leaving a record untarnished in every respect. He was twice married, and two children were born of the first union. The subject of this review is the only child of the second marriage, and his widowed mother is a cherished member of his household. Dewey W. Rhead secured the major portion of his earlier educational training in a private school and later continued his studies in the school at Plymouth and the high school at Hudson, after which he completed a course in the Detroit Business University. After leaving his institution he was employed for one year in the freight office of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad, at Hudson, and he then went to the city of Chicago, where he became shipping clerk in the extensive establishment of the Columbus Dry Goods Company. He was thus engaged for one year, at the expiration of which he returned to Hudson, and assumed charge of his father's farm, in the ownership of which he is associated with his mother and to the supervision of which he has since given his attention. He has made many improvements on the homestead, including the erection of a fine modern residence, which he completed in 1906, and the farm, which is located only a short distance to the north of the corporate limits of the city of Hudson, is one of the model places of this section of the county, as thrift and prosperity are in evidence on every side. Mr. Rhead is engaged in diversified agriculture and stock-raising, and makes a specialty of the dairy department of his farm enterprise. His political allegiance is given to the Democratic party, in whose faith he was reared, and he is a potent factor in local affairs of a public order. In 1903 he was elected to the office of justice of the peace, and in the elections of 1907 he was chosen as his own successor - a circumstance that clearly denotes popular appreciation of his administration of the affairs of the office. He is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, and with its adjunct, the Pythian Sisters, of which latter Mrs. Rhead also is a member, and both of them attend the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Hudson. Their beautiful home is a center of generous and refined hospitality and their circle of friends is circumscribed only by that of their acquaintances. On Aug. 28, 1901, Mr. Rhead was united in marriage to Miss Anna M. Corser, daughter of George W. and Mettie (Bryant) Corser, of Hudson township, and of this union has been begotten one child, Robert, who was born April 17, 1903.