Taken from: History of Warrick, Spencer and Perry Counties, Indiana, 1885

CHARLES W. LAMAR, a native of Grandview, was born December 1, 1847, being the youngest child in the family of Alfred Lamar. He received a fair education in the schools of the town and remained at home until 1864, when he enlisted in the United States navy, serving on the Mississippi and its tributaries until the close of the war. After his return home, he took a commercial course in Bryant & Stratton's Business College at Cincinnati. He then with his father followed flat-boating for about three years, but meeting with reverses he accepted a position with a Louisville wholesale drug house, as traveling salesman. In 1872 he engaged in the confectionery business in Grandview. Six months later he added a stock of groceries, and continued in this business with good success until his building was burned in 1883. He then continued business in rented property until the fall of 1884, when he moved into the new brick building which he erected upon the site of the burnt building. He carried a good stock and has a large trade. On October 20, 1870, he married Anna B. Shannon, a native of Kentucky. They have four children: Luella L., Kate L., Barbara B. and Julia Clyde. Mrs. Lamar died in June, 1883, leaving a record of a Christian life well spent. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which church Mr. Lamar is also a member.