Taken from: History of Daviess County, Kentucky, 1883

About the first settler in Boston Precinct was Bassett Burton, father of Horace Burton. He came from Adams' Fork, near Harrodsburg, Ky., about 1810, bringing help with him to raise a log cabin. The nearest settlement was five or six miles distant. Other early settlers were Elisha Burton, Cornelius Westerfield, William Haynes, John Ward and John Cooper. The two latter came in the fall of 1811, and settled near Mr. Burton. George Jackson settled where James Milton now lives, in the southwestern part of the precinct. Mr. Karn (whose given name may have been Josiah) settled in the western part. William Holmark settled where Mrs. Hinton now lives, William Sinnett where George Mattingly now lives, Joseph Hale on a place now owned by Thomas J. Monarch, James Mathies where Joe Haynes now lives, and Jabe Luallen where Thomas Ware now lives. A man named French settled here at an early date. When the first settlements were made, others came in and took up the land, and cleared the forests, and began improvements. William P. Ellis, from Shelby County, came and settled in 1829, in the extreme eastern part of the precinct.

The first physician who settled in the precinct was Dr. Richard Lockhart, who lived here five or six years, and then moved into Knottsville Precinct, although doing a large practice in this part of the country for a number of years.

Bassett Burton was the first Magistrate who served in the neighborhood, which was before it was organized as a precinct. After Mr. Burton's death, his son, Creed Burton, was chosen to fill the office. One of the first sheriffs who served was Simpson Stout. Under the new constitution in 1851, the first Magistrates were Benjamin F. Ramsey and John B. Hinton. The Sheriff was Thos. Landrum, and the Constable, W. W. Church.

The oldest man now living in the precinct is Robert Ragsdale, at the age of eighty-nine years, a native of Nelson County, Ky. Nancy Williams, widow of Alexander Williams, is about of the same age.

The first school-house erected was in 1825, on the farm of Bassett Burton and the first school-teacher was an Irishman named William Maxwell, a well-educated man. The next one was James Jones.

In 1822 Bassett Burton built a horse-mill on his farm, for the purpose of grinding corn and wheat. People from a distance of fifteen miles came here to have their grain ground. The mill was run by the family after Mr. Burton's death, and by Horace Burton after he came in possession of the farm, till the beginning of the war. With four horses hitched to the mill it would convert a bushel of corn into the finest meal within six minutes.