History of Essex County, Massachusetts

....In 1691, a new charter was issued, embracing Massachusetts, Plymouth, Maine, Nova Scotia and the intervening territory in one government, under the name of the "Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England." This charter reached Boston, May 14, 1692, and under its provisions the government consisted of a Governor, Deputy-Governor and secretary appointed by the King, and assistants or Councilors chosen by the General Courts, and a House of Representatives chosen annually by the people. The Governor had the power of veto, and all acts and elections by the General Court must be transmitted to England and approved or disallowed by the King. The General Court was authorized "to erect and constitute judicatories and courts of records or other courts," and the Governor and Council could appoint judges, sheriffs, justices of the peace and other officers of the courts. The regulation and management of probate matters were given to the Governor and Council, and delegated by them to judges in each county. Under his charter the General Court no longer possessed judicial power. The first court established under the charter was a special Court of Oyer and Terminer, organized by Governor William Phipps, the first Governor of the province, before any law had been passed authorizing it, for the purpose of trying, chiefly in Essex County, persons charged with witchcraft. On the 2d of June, 1692, the Governor issued his commission appointing Wm. Stoughton, chief justice, and Nathaniel Saltonstall (who declined and was succeeded by Jonathan Curwin), John Richards, Bartholomew Gedney, Wait Winthrop, Samuel Sewall and Peter Sergeant, associate justices; Stephen Sewall, clerk; Thomas Newton, attorney-general (succeeded July 22d by Anthony Checkley); George Corwin, sheriff. The first meeting of this court was held at Salem on the 2d of June, 1692 and its last meeting on the 17th of September following, after which the court was dissolved. During this time the expense of the court to Essex County was one hundred and thirty pounds, and nineteen persons were tried, condemned and hung, and one was pressed to death.

1698 - Daniel Peirce, in place of Bartholomew Gedney, deceased.

In a separate listing in the same book:
Bartholomew Gedney was a physician, and probably born in Salem in 1640. He was one of the justices of the Court of Oyer and Terminer, organized in 1692 by Governor Phipps, for the trial of the witches. He was appointed in 1692 judge of probate for Essex County, under the authority assumed by Governor Phipps to delegate probate power vested in him. In the same year he was appointed one of the judges of the Court of Common Pleas. He seems to have mingled military with judicial occupations, and commanded an expedition against the Indians in 1696. He died February 28, 1698/99.

Found on Salem Witch Museum website
Bartholomew Gedney. A native of Salem and a physician by profession, Gedney was present at several of the examinations and later served as a member of the Court of Oyer and Terminet. He was present at the examination of his friend John Alden on 31 May 1692 in Salem Village. When Gedney saw how Alden tormented the girls, he told Alden that he had "always look'd upon him to be an honest man, but now he did see cause to alter his judgment." Gedney is buried beneath a red sandstone table stone (Plate 22) located about sixty feet from the Charter Street entrance to the cemetery. The inscription on the table stone reads in part: "Here Lyes Interred ye Body of Colln Bartho Gedney Esqr. Actat 57 Obt 28 Febr 1697."