Excerpt from

"The Journal of the Reverend Silas Constant"

Edited by Emily Warren Roebling

Archer Rhead

Archer's surname is spelled as Reed in the journal so that is how the author spelled it. Why Reverend Constant spelled the name as Reed is unknown. He did misspell other names so is this simply a case of his not knowing how to spell the name or did Archer spell the name this way?

Archer Reed was a son of Robert Reed, of Yonkers. The latter's will, proved 18 September, 1770 (Pelletreau's Westchester Wills), provided for wife Jane and gave legacies to children Isaac, Jacob, Archer, John, Phebe, Elijah, Jane, and Robert, to the last named of whom he left his "farm with the consent" of his "Land Lord." According to his tombstone, Archer Reed was born in 1752, but in 1817, when a subscriber to the certificate issued by the citizens of Westchester County, In vindication of the character of Major Andre's captors, and in refutation of the statement made by Colonel Benjamin Tallmadge, then in Congress, that the so-called patriots had but yielded up their prey in the interest of gain, he gave his age as sixty-four years. He served as a private in the Revolution in colonel Drake's Regiment of Westchester County militia, and his brothers Jacob and Isaac were also soldiers in the American army. Both he and his wife Hannah were on Mr. Constant's early membership roll, but on the incorporation of the Greenburgh Presbyterian Church, 25 April, 1790, he became one of the trustees and elders of that church. He was the owner of the old house, later known as the Landrine House, to which Andre was taken after his capture, and on the steps of which Andre is known to have eaten a bowl of bread and milk before starting again with his captors towards North Castle. He died 29 May, 1833, and lies in the Greenburgh churchyard near the monument erected by the citizens of Westchester County to Isaac Van Wart, the patriot, and his friend, in whose behalf he had testified in 1817. And he was doubtless among those soldiers of the Revolution, citizens and invited guests, who gathered in the little churchyard on that June day in 1829 to commemorate with appropriate service the erection of that stone which still bears silent witness to the fact that republics are not always ungrateful. He married (1) Hannah, daughter of John Archer, of Eastchester, by his wife Mary Leggett, born 6 May, 1750 O.S.; died 10 April, 1812. He married (2) Sarah ---, born 9 April, 1771; died 26 August, 1836. Robert Reed, eldest brother of Archer Reed, remained at Yonkers, his farm being on the Saw-Mill River road near Boar Hill. In the winter of 1780, while Colonel Thompson was stationed at Four Corners, in Mt. Pleasant, on the road from Tarrytown to White Plains, Mr. Reed learned from Kingsbridge that the British were equipping an expedition against Colonel Thompson, and were on the eve of starting. Whereupon he immediately rode to the American quarters and gave timely warning of the aproaching enemy. The four corners is familiar to readers of "The Spy," as the site of the famous hotel of Betty Flannagan, "a house of entertainment for man and beast, and which has the honor of the invention of that beverage "so well known at the present hour to all patriots who make a winter's march between the commercial and political capitals of the great State, and which is distinguished by the name of 'cocktail'."