Carpenter, Powell and Their Connections

From a listing found on

Abraham Carpenter was in the French War. He enlisted in the army and was sent through the wilderness to Crown Point Fort, where he remained one summer, acting the most of the time as one of the guards of that fortress; and when his term of service had expired, he returned to Rehoboth.

History of the Town of Pittsford, Vermont, printed in 1872

"While in Rehoboth, and after serving in the army, Abraham commenced studying for the Ministry. After his marriage he went to reside in Killingly, Conn. From there they moved to Plainfield, New Hampshire in 1774. He was there ordained and installed over the Congregational Church, and was the first minister in that town. From Plainfield he removed to Whipple Hollow, Vermont. About the year 1790 the people of Orange Parish employed Rev. Abraham Carpenter of Plainfield, New Hampshire as their minister. The services on the occasion of his installation were held at the house of Asa Stevens, it being before the meeting house was finished. Mr. Carpenter was a very devoted Christian, and a faithful pastor; under his ministry the church prospered. Few pastors have secured a stronger hold upon the affections of his people. He died after a short illness, and his remains were interred in the parish burying ground."

History of Windham County, Connecticut

"In 1798, Abraham Carpenter was ordained into the office of Deacon by the laying on of hands, and dismissed after five years service to become the pastor of the church of Plainfield, New Hampshire."

The New Hampshire Churches, by Rev. Robert F. Lawrence

"In 1773 or 1774, Rev. Abraham Carpenter, a 'strict Congregationalist' was settled according to the rules of the denomination in Plainfield, without any action of the town. In March, 1779, the town voted to accept Mr. Carpenter as the minister of the town. He received the right of land, consisting of 360 acres. He continued to preach in town eight or ten years longer. In his own kitchen and in other private houses in the winter, and in the open air or in a meeting-house having neither doors or windows, in the summer. In 1782 there was more than usual attention to religion, and several neighboring ministers came and assisted him. After a few years he was dismissed by his own congregation, and became pastor of a church in Rutland, Vermont where he died and where his grave is. He was considered a decided Christian, loving God and rejoicing to be the servant of his people in preaching the Gospel and teaching the youth. In a quiet and sober manner he finished his ministry and sent, we believe, to receive the reward of one who had been 'faithful in a few things.' "

Extract of a letter written to E. H. Carpenter, Manchester, New Hampshire, by Rev. C. C. McIntire, D. D., dated November 14, 1889.

"After a little search I found the grave or at least the stone, of Rev. Abraham Carpenter. The ground was in a beautiful, picturesque spot, but is not very well cared for. The stone is a large-sized slab standing upright and firm and is in a very good state of preservation. On the stone is engraved an oval band, and running around it are these words:

"This, ,sleeping dust again shall rise
When Gabriel's trump shall shake the skies."

Within the oval is the inscription,

"To the pious memory of the Rev. Abraham Carpenter,
who we trust fell asleep in Jesus, Aug. 21st, 1797, in the 58th year of his age."

Below the oval and near the base,

"With mildest accents from his tongue
He often taught the listening throng
In silent notes still hear him say
Prepare for death and come away."